BBC star salaries: Zoe Ball shoots up pay checklist as Gary Lineker takes reduce
4 girls now function within the checklist of BBC’s high 10 highest earners, the company’s annual report reveals.
Zoe Ball’s pay has risen by £1m after taking up the Radio 2 Breakfast present, whereas Fiona Bruce and Lauren Laverne have moved into the highest 10.
Match of the Day host Gary Lineker formally stays the best-paid star with an unchanged wage of £1.75m.
However director basic Tim Davie mentioned he had now agreed to a pay reduce, which shall be mirrored on subsequent 12 months’s checklist.
“Gary Lineker has signed as much as a brand new five-year contract saving 1 / 4 over his final contract,” Mr Davie advised reporters.
The BBC later confirmed it was a 23% pay reduce, which might be round £403,000. Which means Lineker’s pay shall be lower than Ball’s if she stays on the identical stage.
Mr Davie described him as an excellent broadcaster and mentioned it was an awesome instance of the “finest expertise and the perfect worth”.
“And earlier than you ask, Gary is aware of his duty to the BBC by way of his use of social media,” Mr Davie added, referring to social media guidelines for BBC employees and presenters which might be anticipated to be introduced quickly.
Lineker shrugged off any “haters” over his wage on Twitter.
General, the whole wage invoice for on-air expertise in 2019/20 rose by £1m to £144.6m. The highest 10 earners are nonetheless all white.
Davie mentioned the BBC “nonetheless had work to do” on this space however pointed on the market have been solely 12% of expertise on the BBC from BAME backgrounds incomes over £150m in 2016 and now it is 18%.
Some stars do not seem on the checklist as a result of industrial arm BBC Studios, which makes many reveals, would not must disclose its charges.
Because of this, the celebs of a few of the BBC’s largest programmes – like Prime Gear and Physician Who – are absent from the checklist.
Ball has risen even if her Strictly spin-off present It Takes Two is made by BBC Studios and so just isn’t included.
Prime 10 salaries
- 1. Gary Lineker – £1,750,000-£1,754,999 (Match of the Day, Premier League and FA Cup, Sports activities Character of the Yr)
- 2. Zoe Ball – £1,360,000-£1,364,999 (Radio 2’s Zoe Ball Breakfast Present)
- 3. Graham Norton – £725,000-£729,000 (Weekly present on Radio 2, a spread of programmes and sequence, Bafta movie and TV awards)
- 4. Steve Wright – £475,000-£479,999 (Radio 2’s Steve Wright within the Afternoon, Steve Wright’s Sunday Love Songs)
- 5. Huw Edwards – £465,000-£469,999 (Information at Six and Information at Ten, presenting on BBC One and the Information Channel, election night time and information specials)
- 6. Fiona Bruce – £450,000-£454,999 (Query Time and presenting on BBC One)
- 7. Vanessa Feltz – £405,000-£409,999 (Radio 2 early Breakfast Present, Radio London Breakfast Present, Radio 2 cowl)
- 8. Lauren Laverne – £395,000-£399,999 (BBC 6 Music Breakfast Present, 6 Music Recommends, Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs, Mercury Music Prize)
- =9. Alan Shearer – £390,000-£394,999 (Match of the Day: Premier League and FA Cup)
- =9. Stephen Nolan – £390,000-£394,999 (The Nolan Present on Radio Ulster, Nolan Dwell on BBC One (Northern Eire), The Stephen Nolan Present on 5 Dwell)
- 10. Ken Bruce – £385,000-£389,999 (Radio 2’s Mid Morning Present, Eurovision Music Contest, Radio 2 Dwell in Hyde Park)
Final 12 months, the checklist included three girls – Ball, Winkleman and Feltz.
The general gender pay hole on the BBC has fallen from 6.7% to six.2%. Earlier director basic Tony Corridor had pledged to shut the gender pay hole by 2020.
Mr Davie mentioned that “was a really aggressive goal… we might be pleased with our progress however we should go additional.”
Progress had been made and the BBC was “in a greater place… we have handled problems with equal pay”, he added.
However he mentioned he needed to extend the variety of girls throughout management ranks. The determine at the moment stands at 45%. “It is in regards to the leaders, not discuss however motion.”
This annual report accommodates loads of complicated messages, however is probably going nonetheless to result in easy and damaging headlines for the BBC.
The checklist of salaries for on-air broadcasters – which incorporates me – displays three years of reforms.
As a part of these reforms, many broadcasters – notably however not solely males – both took important pay cuts (Huw Edwards, Jeremy Vine and so on) or left the BBC (Chris Evans, John Humphrys, Eddie Mair).
Now, a number of broadcasters – notably however not solely girls – have had pay rises.
Crucially, the pay rises for these feminine broadcasters (Zoe Ball, Fiona Bruce, Lauren Laverne, Emily Maitlis), replicate further work.
The general rise in pay for these whose salaries are revealed – round £1m – just isn’t, in monetary phrases, big, given the variety of individuals to which it pertains, and the salaries themselves.
However, the optics are unhealthy for the BBC. Complexity would not reduce by way of in tales about excessive pay.
The easy reality is, in a time of immense hardship throughout the nation, with so many individuals redundant or furloughed and struggling, these big salaries (and their modest general improve) will strike many licence payment payers as disgraceful.
The opposite massive story is the BBC’s funds. Within the medium-term, they’re badly strained. It’s putting that by the top of subsequent 12 months, the BBC may have delivered round £800m in financial savings in simply 5 years.
However the truth that the licence payment did not rise with inflation between 2010 and 2017, and the £125m hit (at the very least) from the coronavirus pandemic, are an enormous harm to the underside line for the approaching 12 months.
And that is earlier than you even take into account whether or not a technology who give a lot time to TikTok, YouTube and WhatsApp really feel they should pay for a TV licence.