Chiquetaille de Mourue (Marinated Salt Cod) Recipe
Chiquetaille de Mourue (Marinated Salt Cod)
In Level-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe, Chef David Drumeaux tops the island’s iconic streetfood sandwich—bokit—with this flavorful salt cod salad.
Yield: makes 2 1/2 cups
13 hours, 45 minutes
- 8 oz. salt cod, rinsed and lower into 4-in. items
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 mini bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tsp. finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 medium lime (about 2 Tbsp.)
- Kosher salt (optionally available)
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Place the salt cod in a big bowl, and add sufficient chilly water to cowl by a number of inches. Put aside to soak within the fridge for 12 hours, altering the water each 3 or 4 hours.
- Drain and rinse the cod. Switch it to a medium pot, cowl with chilly water, and convey to a simmer over medium-high warmth. Cook dinner till the fish flakes when poked with a fork, 15-20 minutes. Utilizing a wonderful mesh sieve, drain, then rinse the cod below chilly operating water, squeezing it to take away extra moisture. Finely crumble the fish into a big bowl, and add the onion, peppers, parsley, chives, and thyme; toss to mix. Stir within the olive oil and lime juice, then season to style with salt, if desired, and black pepper. Cowl and refrigerate for at the very least 1 hour, or as much as 48 hours, earlier than serving.